Etappe 13: Chatel-guyon - Puy Mary
Buxières sous Montaigut is situated in the northern part of the Puy de Dôme region, the department of extinct Vulcanoes (Puys). It is a rural, quiet area with a hilly landscape. It is very suitable for walking and cycling. The numerous streams and lakes are excellent for swimming, canoeing and fishing.
Fun Suggestions For Day Tours Are:
- the Puy de Dôme (including walking and parapents)
- the beautiful old towns of Hérisson, Souvigny and Charroux
- the Gorges du Sioule (hiking, fishing, canoeing)
- Rail bridge Viaduct des Fades and the reservoirs, as well as a waterfall in St Priest des Champs.
- St. Pourcain, also known for its wine
- for the children's theme park Le Pal (also partial zoo) and Vulcania
'The cheese Route'
The Auvergne is an area where nature is abundant. The roads are scarce and narrow. Get a full tank of gasoline because you will have to drive a lot for the next gas station. A nice route to follow is the "cheese route". You come through all the villages with special cheeses from the Auvergne.
- Very impressive is the town of Oradour sur Glane. The time stood here when the village was shot and burned on June 10, 1944. 642 people came around. Although it is a 2.5-hour drive from Sans Parure, this is worth a visit for those interested in WWII. Everything has remained the same since that day.